- 6/3/2020 – As we plan to reopen Sunday, June 7, please take a few minutes to watch this video from Pastor Mike as he gives you a tour of the building and explains how and why our building will be set up with extra space in the Worship Center, multiple overflow rooms for families, and more!
- 5/20/2020 – The leadership of The Mission Church are happy to announce that we will be returning to Sunday morning service on Sunday, June 7, 2020.Please watch the video below to learn about the changes coming in order to reopen our facility for Sunday service.
- 4/29/2020 – The leadership of The Mission Church has decided to wait before officially reopening and will continue to do ministry solely online for the month of May. For further explanation about the reasoning behind this decision, please take a few minutes to watch the update Senior Pastor Mike Rose.
- 4/27/2020 – Governor Reynolds recommended that churches can reopen with no size limit as long as they “implement reasonable measures under the circumstances of each gathering to ensure social distancing of employees, volunteers, and other participants, increased hygiene practices, and other public health measures to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 consistent with guidance issued by the Iowa Department of Public Health.” (source link; see section 6)
The leadership of The Mission Church is currently drafting a plan to reopen. Given the size and demographics of our congregation, this situation is complex yet we are committed to developing a plan that will be thorough and safe in order to lovingly care for our staff, volunteers, and participants while also abiding by the Governor’s recommendations.
As soon as our plan has been developed and approved, we will communicate that plan immediately. Please watch this page, our Facebook page, and our Email Blast for the latest updates.
- Our Sunday service will be online for the foreseeable future. When this changes, we will communicate quickly and keep you informed on when we can gather again. We are pre-recording our music, the sermon, and other elements to provide a stable Sunday service video for you.
- All events and gatherings are postponed/canceled until further notice. However, a lot of these gatherings are moving online. Check the Email Blast for more information. In addition, we want to stay connected with you whether you’re a faithful member or new to The Mission Church! Fill out our digital connection card to let us know you’re with us!
- Our Sunday service video can be viewed Sundays at 10 AM on our website and we are also hosting a Facebook “Watch Party” every Sunday that begins at 9:50 AM as well. Join us!
Parents! Home discipleship is something you can start right now, right at home, with your youngest children. The first step is to allow yourself to be flexible. The key to all home training is first intentionality, but the most important part is to combine that with flexibility. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment by trying to be like someone else. This is as individual as each person reading it! Start with your Bible. Take it out, allow your children to see you reading it, hear you reading it. Open the pages, point to a scripture passage and allow your preschoolers and toddlers to touch the passage and tell them, “this is the Bible, God’s true word.” We want God’s word to become a habit in their earliest of days.
If you are looking for some additional resources, check out some fun things on Right Now Media:
CLICK HERE for some great book resources
HERE for some missionary videos on Right Now Media
Parents, I know what you might be thinking. I should have started this….if only I would have known….but you don’t understand our routine, I can never…..
We do understand. And it is NEVER too late to begin. The key combination with your elementary children is to create an intentional plan, but to be FLEXIBLE. It may not work for your family to set aside every morning at breakfast, or every evening before bed. So don’t set that as the routine! Simply decide each night after looking at the schedule for the next day when you will spend a few minutes praying together or reading the Bible together.
All you need is your Bible. Start there. Take it out, open the pages and read. Its the time you are spending, and the content you are reading that matters.
In elementary school, you can take it a step beyond and begin to study the Bible. For age specific resources, check out the resources in the link at the top of this box. But remember! Intentionality combined with flexibility is the key to success!
Parents, at this point in your child’s life they are starting to ask questions about faith. They need to understand more than just what we as a family believe. This is the time they begin to make their faith their own.
This is the perfect time to begin to study with them, if you have’t already made that a habit. And this is when we, as parents, may start to panic. We enter this new phase where our children don’t just believe what we say because we say it. Its ok. Its normal. But don’t make the mistake of reacting to their questions with fear, anger or shame. This is the time we want to be calm, acknowledge their questions and find the answers together.
At this point it is so important to address their fears, allow their questions and help them be grounded in Jesus. We are all at home, we cannot rely on the church building or the teaching that happens inside. So now more than ever, making Jesus the foundation of their faith is the most important thing.
Not sure where to start? Every week we will continue to put out Gospel centered content for kids. It is the perfect place to start. Read the passages together, and talk about how this impacts your life. At the end of each video segment we will make the Christ connection for you. This is the perfect place to begin those conversations.
Use this resource that we love as a place to start: Check out the website and then download the app!
Parent Cue: CLICK HERE
mental & emotional health
Find a wealth of biblical resources related to suffering, hope, anxiety, worry, fear, depression, suicide, conflict, loss, abuse, and crisis here.
- Pastor Brett’s Book Recommendations for various topics like devotionals, apologetics, discipleship, marriage & family, leadership, and more!
- The Gospel Primer (Pastor Brett’s #1 devotional recommendation for all Christians)
- Books for Moms, Dads, and Grads
- Coronavirus and Christ by John Piper (free PDF)
- Mini-Habits for Sanctification
- Discipleship.org Blog posts
- TableTalk Magazine (Print + Digital)